Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Week 3: Object Oriented Programming

 Well, 3 weeks into the course, we have begun Object Oriented Programming for Python. The concepts really aren't new to me, since I have a pretty strong background in Java. Most of the practice I do is just to get a hang of the differences between the languages.

To me, the most glaring difference between python and Java is that private variables are protected by convention rather than the language itself, which to me, is pretty annoying. Obviously python is designed to be simple, but I feel like that's a major oversight on a design level. Additionally, I'm curious as to how static variables work in Python, if it all. I'm assuming that they do, but with some of the funkier things about this language, I'm prepared to be surprised. After that, the other major thing I'm expecting is Interfaces, but, according to friends, that isn't covered until second year any ways.

Overall, object oriented programming in Python seems pretty straight forward, but, like other things in Python, its simplicity ends up impeding it from being very adaptable in certain circumstances. For that reason in particular, I'm looking forward to moving onto Java next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment